Here are the various positions for Volunteers to fill:
1. Ticket sales and cash collection x 1... One very honest and focused individual required for this position, the job entails collecting cash, giving out tour tickets, giving out the general direction of activities. This person is usually the first port of call for any enquiry.
2. Glitter tattoo x 2 people. A very monotonous job putting glue onto children's arms then adding glitter tattoos, these people have to be happy and Jolly and be very good with kids as the children will continually return for more tattoos so needs to be very patient
3. Bouncy castle supervisor x1... As a basic requirement of law the bouncy castle must be supervised to ensure the maximum number is not exceeded, shoes are not worn etc., it sounds like an easy job but it's not. A friendly attitude is essential but you need to be firm when required.
4. Ground floor runner x1 ...this is a very focused job. You need to be able to think on your feet and in advance. informing the public on the ground floors of the castle about the next competitions, where the toilet facilities are, getting kids ready to line up for the group ghost tours, relieving other staff during toilet breaks etc., filling in where required. A general dogsbody.
5. Ghost tour scarer Ghouls; we need 10 minimum volunteers in appropriate ghoulish attire (provided or use your own) no skills required, you just need a Halloween costume and a fun attitude.
6. Ghost tour Guide x 2 to guide by dim candle-light the ghost tour itself around haunted floors, ensuring public safety on the tours. Must also be able to spot vulnerable individuals and have them removed from the tour if necessary.
7. Upper floors supervisor x1 ...ensure the safety of all ghost tour staff as well as the public on the upper floors, ensure continual music/smoke/ atmosphere.
8. Competition compere / DJ / Maestro Probably the most important job of the whole Halloween event. Must have excellent communication skills, an amazing sense of humour, good looks, charming, amazing personality and sensitivity or just a few of the requirements for this position (I think Steve is putting himself forward here - ed).
The above is the bare minimum required to pull off Halloween Childrens Tour like we have done so for many years. It is the reason why it has always had a great reputation. Sadly, as the kids have been growing up we have been finding it difficult year after year in filling the scarier Ghouls positions.
The jobs in 6,7,8 are roles which have always been played by key staff members who also do the ghost tours. You need at least 10 ghouls. The more the scarier. Half a dozen just won't do.
I normally paid out £25 per volunteer x 18 + £65 bouncy castle + £100/120 toys/gifts.
Normally we would get 130 / 150 kids minimum every year ... last year was much lower - only 97 kids I think it was. So it also needs good promotion on social media by all the volunteers!